2012/05/04

Confederate Memorial Day, April 26, 2012


I stood in the middle of Franklin square downtown and for many hours paid tribute to our Confederate ancestors from Heard County and educating passersby on Confederate Memorial Day. It wasn't until sometime after coverage of his story was posted in the Times Journal, a local Franklin based paper, on Tuesday that lead to the appearance of the wreath and 1st National flag at the County Confederate marker. I then solemnly and proudly placed a Soldiers Flag next to the 7 star Confederate Government flag that doesn't recognize Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Arkansas.

I then solemnly and proudly placed a Soldiers Flag next to the 7 star Confederate Government flag that doesn't recognize Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Arkansas"


Today, April 26th, 2012, is, since 1874 and according not only to Georgia Statute, but by official proclamation known as Confederate Memorial Day. The proclamations come from Centralhatchee, Ephesus, Franklin and Heard County, and are perpetual. On this day, I traveled to Yellow Dirt Cemetery inside Georgia Power's Plant Wansley to visit the soldiers, and check on the Battle Flags placed for the 2nd time back in October 2011. After taking about 15 pictures and being satisfied all is ok with the graves and decorations thereon, I made my way down to Franklin town square. In the middle of the square is a large Gazebo. In 'front' of this are multiple panels of engraved bricks with veterans names and a plaque designating the walls as the Heard County Veterans Park. I arrived at 1pm, and put on my Confederate uniform and attached my 4x4 ANV CBF and began walking around the gazebo inside the circle.I am aware that the old Heard County Rangers SCV camp folded back in 2007-2008, and the only Confederate presence is the small but respectable Confederate Marker on the 'back side' of the gazebo. It seems that the citizenry based on my limited time there are starving for something Confederate. I met with and spoke to 4 women, and all took pictures of me. 2 said they had heard from their grandmother they had "someone in their family who fought for our side, in Georgia, uh, they wore gray!" 1 woman stopped her car in the road and took my picture and yelled thanks. The other said she was a proud southern woman and related her experience at a recent reenactment. 2 young boys of about 10 years of age spent a few minutes with me, one saying he was from Ireland, and I mentioned General Cleburne. The other said he was related to some General whose name was Covington, which is what the city west of Atlanta is named for. I told him I didnt think that General Covington was a Confederate, but that the TV show "In The Heat Of The Night" was filmed there. One man approached me and began to make pro confederate comments, but then told me of his trip to Andersonville and just began trashing the Confederates, and no matter what I told him (Elmira, Camp Douglas) he had been reconstructed. Another man said he could join the SCV but due to it's being so 'radical' he would rather not. Dozens of horn honks and appreciative waves were the theme of the day vehicle-wise. A few other folks came by and talked and left educated. One man walked up and shook my hand and thanked me for being there. Heard County it appears does need some outreach Confederatly speaking, and I was saddened not to find a Battle Flag at the marker. Thanks and God Bless Billy Bearden Haralson Invincibles #673 Sons of Confederate Veterans.

By: Billy Bearden

1 comment: